The Torch and Bridge Puzzle is a classic logical puzzle that goes as follows:
At night, four individuals (A, B, C, and D) need to cross a bridge. A takes 1 minute, B takes 2 minutes, C takes 5 minutes, and D takes 8 minutes to cross the bridge. They have only one torch with them, and it is necessary to carry it to cross the bridge. Only two persons can be on the bridge simultaneously, and when two individuals cross the bridge together, they must move at the pace of the slower person.
Torch and Bridge Puzzle Solution
To solve this problem, we can use the following strategy:
- A and B cross the bridge first. It will take them two minutes, as A is the faster one.
- A goes back with the torch (it will take him one minute).
- C and D cross the bridge together. As D is the slowest, it will take them 8 minutes.
- B goes back with the torch (it will take him 2 minutes).
- A and B cross the bridge again, and it will take them 2 minutes (as B is the faster one).
In total, they will spend 1 + 2 + 8 + 2 + 2 = 15 minutes to cross the bridge.
Note: that there are other possible solutions to this problem, but this is one of the quickest ones.
Here is the solution presented in tabular format:
|Step||Person(s) on the bridge||Time taken|
|1||A and B||2 minutes|
|3||C and D||8 minutes|
|5||A and B||2 minutes|
Degree in Computer Science and Engineer: App Developer and has multiple Programming languages experience. Enthusiasm for technology & like learning technical.