Python Read File is much easier with python programming. You do want to use an external library or import, It handles natively by language. In this tutorial, you will learn how to open a text file and read the data (text) form file in python, which comes under the File Handling section.
How to Python Read File?
In order to open and read the file, you will need to use a python in the build method (function)
Open to get a file object. The file object has functions and attributes to collect data from the file and update etc.
Where file_obj is a variable to hold the file object. And Mode in the second argument is optional because the default value of ‘r’ will be assumed if it is omitted. Where ‘r ‘value stands for the reading mode.
#Opening file file_obj = open("filename", "mode") # Reading and printing text form file print(file_obj.read())
- ‘r’ – Read mode (Only read the file ) is a default in the open function. The stream is positioned at the beginning of the file.
- ‘w’ – Write mode (Edit and write new data into the file). The stream is positioned at the beginning of the file.
- ‘a’ – Appending mode (Add new data to the end of the file). The stream is positioned at the end of the file.
- ‘r+’ – Special read and write mode (Handle both operations – Read and Write ). The stream is positioned at the beginning of the file.
Assume we have the “testFile.txt” file, located in the same folder as Python. The Text in the file is below.
This text from file.
Reading the file and print() all data in the console.
f = open("testFile.txt", "r") print(f.read())
Output: Hello world
This text from a file.
Read-Only Parts of the File
Reading and print() only limited data example,
You can also specify how many characters you want to return:
f = open("testFile.txt", "r") print(f.read(5))
Read Lines Example
You can read one or two etc line by using the
f = open("testFile.txt", "r") print(f.readline())
Output: Hello world
#do follow this link, based on complete Read line tutorial: Python ReadLines Tutorial & Examples
Bonus: What is the Real-time example use of Open and Read the file in python
- The file where you have weather observation data and you want to open that with Python and then you want to Analysis data and select some information to show.
- A file with email and you a send some email automatically, so python needs to restring as an email to your email address.
Do comment if you have any doubts and suggestions for the article.
Note : This example (Project) is developed in PyCharm 2018.2 (Community Edition)
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
All Examples of Python Read File are in Python 3, so it may change its different from python 2 or upgraded versions.