Python Tuples: are very similar to Lists, the only difference is that tuples are not mutable, so you cannot change a tuple. Lists are used much more than tuples so tuples are only using very specific scenarios.
A tuple is a sequence of immutable Python objects (data structure). A tuple consists of a number of values separated by commas.
Python Tuples Syntax and Example
Here is syntax and simple example of Python Tuples.
tuples1 = ('Hello', 3.4, 2000) tuples2 = ("One", "two", "three") print(tuples1) print(tuples2)
Output : (‘Hello’, 3.4, 2000)
(‘One’, ‘two’, ‘three’)
Built-in functions like
tuple() etc. are commonly used with tuple to perform different tasks.
- all() Return True if all elements of the tuple are true (or if the tuple is empty).
- any() Return True if any element of the tuple is true. If the tuple is empty, return False.
tuples1 = (0, 1) tuples2 = (0, 0) tuples3 = (True, 0) tuples4 = (True, False) print(any(tuples1)) print(any(tuples2)) print(any(tuples3)) print(any(tuples4))
Note: Any non-zero number or non-empty sequence evaluates to
- enumerate() Return an enumerate object. It contains the index and value of all the items of a tuple as pairs.
tuples1 = (2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 1) print(list(enumerate(tuples1)))
Output : [(0, 2), (1, 6), (2, 3), (3, 8), (4, 4), (5, 1)]
- len() Return the length (the number of items) in the tuple.
tuples1 = (2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 1) print(len(tuples1))
- max() Return the largest item in the tuple.
tuples1 = (2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 1) print(max(tuples1))
- min() Return the smallest item in the tuple
tuples1 = (2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 1) print(min(tuples1)
- sorted() Take elements in the tuple and return a new sorted list (does not sort the tuple itself).
tuples1 = (2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 1) print(sorted(tuples1))
Output : [1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8]
- sum() Retrun the sum of all elements in the tuple.
tuples1 = (2, 6, 3, 8, 4, 1) print(sum(tuples1))
tuple() Convert an iterable (list, string, set, dictionary) to a tuple.
Do comment if you have any doubt in this tutorial.
Note: This example (Project) is developed in PyCharm 2018.2 (Community Edition)
JVM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM by JetBrains s.r.o
All Examples of tuples & tuple functions are in Python 3, so it may change its different from python 2 or upgraded versions.
Degree in Computer Science and Engineer: App Developer and has multiple Programming languages experience. Enthusiasm for technology & like learning technical.